Vintage Travel Handbook and Calendar - Summer 1910.

Continental Travel Ltd., Endsleigh Gardens NW.
Travel Calendar, 1910.



Weds. 1st June, 1910.
Leave London for Bavarian Highlands.
The gate of the Bavarian Highlands is Munich. Situated in a flat dull plain the city owes little to its surroundings, but for all that is one of the pleasantest places of residence in Europe.  It is homelier than Paris, it does not reek of money like Frankfort, it blends an impression of dignity and quality.  The remaining vestiges of the Old Bavarian town, with its Gothic Buildings and narrow, quaint lanes, blending with the wide new sunny streets, the gardens, fountains and statues, palaces and treasure house of art.


There is enough in Munich to occupy the lover of art for weeks or months. The splendid collection of modern art in the Neue Pinakothek, the Bavarian Museum and the Maximilianeum.




The Neue Pinakothek (above) c1880 - Munich, Germany. Its focus is European Art of the 18th and 19th century and is one of the most important museums of art of the nineteenth century in the world. Together with the Alte Pinakothek  and the Pinakothe Modern it is part of Munich's
 " Kunstareal" (the "art area").
The Neue Pinakothek  - c1980.

The Neue Pinakothek - c 1980.


The Bavarian Museum.
The building, erected in the style of historicism by Gabriel von Seidl 1894-1900, is one of the most original and significant museum buildings of its time. It is situated in the Prinzregentenstrasse, one of the city's four royal avenues. The museum was founded by King Maximilian II of Bavaria in 1855. It houses a large collection of European artifacts from the late antiquity until early 20th century with particular strengths in the medieval through early modern periods.


The Bavarian Museum.
The Maximilianeum, a palatial building in Munich,  was built as the home of a gifted students' foundation and has also housed the Bavarian Landtag (state parliament) since 1949.
The principal was King Maximilian II of Bavaria, who started the project in 1857. The leading architect was Friedrich Burklein. The building is situated on the bank of river Isar before the Maximilian Bridge and marks the eastern end of the Maximilianstrasse, one of Munich's royal avenues which is framed by neo-Gothic palaces influenced by the English Perpendicular style.



Popular Posts